How to use the participants menu
The participants menu gives you an easy way to manage access to a conversation. You can see who's involved in the conversation and when they’ve last read it, so you can stay on the same page.
You'll see the menu button at the top of the conversation when you're the only one involved. When it's a private conversation in your individual inbox and no one else has access, you'll see a lock icon, and when it's a conversation in a team inbox, you'll see a people icon.
When there are other participants in the conversation who have commented, replied, or subscribed to it, you'll see their avatars listed here.
What can you do in this menu?
See who's involved in the conversation
Teammates will be shown in this menu when they participate in the conversation — when they comment, @mention a teammate, reply directly, or subscribe to the conversation. Their avatars will be shown in color when they are reading the conversation or have already read the latest message or comment. Avatars will be shown in black and white if there is new activity in the message they haven't seen, and their status will say Unread.
See who has muted the conversation
If a participant has muted the conversation, their status will say Muted. You'll need to @mention them again for them to see the latest message or comment.
Invite teammates to the conversation
Open the menu to invite teammates to join the conversation. This is an alternative to @mentioning them in a comment. Inviting a teammate or @mentioning them will put the conversation in their Shared with me folder in their inbox.
When it's in a team inbox where members of that inbox have access to it by default, you'll see a people icon. When the conversation is in a private inbox and there are no other participants, you'll see a lock icon.
Remove teammates from the conversation
You can hover over a teammate's name to remove them from the conversation in certain cases.
You can remove teammates when:
- It's a private conversation they did not originally have access to
- It's the conversation is in a team inbox they do not have access to
You cannot remove a teammate when:
- They were an original recipient of the conversation. For example, if an email was sent to firstname.lastname@example.org , Sarah cannot be removed from the conversation. You will see a crown next to the user's name in this case 👑
- They have access to the team inbox where the conversation is. For example, if the conversation is in the Support inbox, and you have access to the Support inbox, you cannot be removed.
What happens after you remove a teammate?
- The teammate will not be able to search for the conversation or see it in their All folder.
- If they are cc’ed on the thread going forward, they’ll see a new copy of the conversation in their individual inbox.