How to import your Freshdesk history into Front
If you were using Freshdesk previously, you can import your history into Front. We will import inboxes, contacts, conversations, messages, comments, attachments, and conversation assignments. We will not import tags and teammates.
Go into your Settings and select Plugins & API. Click on Imports, and choose Freshdesk.
Log into your Freshdesk account, navigate to Profile Settings and copy your API Key.
In Front, input your API Key and Freshdesk subdomain. For instance, if the full URL is www.frontapphelp.freshdesk.com then the subdomain is frontapphelp
You will now configure the specifics of the import into Front (see below for screenshot):
- Select which Team the Freshdesk data should import to.
- Select the default teammate to which messages and comments will be attributed to, in the case there is no matching Front Teammate for the Freshdesk Agent. We need to do this because comments and messages need to have an author in Front. In case the Freshdesk Agent does not exist in Front, we will fallback on this teammate selected.
- Map Freshdesk Agents to Front. If “Use default” is selected, the default teammate in Part 2 will be used.
- Ensure all teammates are members of the Team selected, otherwise the import will not start.
- If the Freshdesk Agent does not exist in Front, there is an option to Invite them to Front and all tickets/conversations authored or assigned by them will be imported under their name.
- You will have a few different options in how to map over the Freshdesk Groups:
- Match to an existing Front inbox: Ensure the inbox is part of the Team selected in Step 1. The importer will not start if the existing inboxes do not belong to the selected team.
- Skip Group: All tickets for that group will be ignored.
- Create new Inbox: A new team inbox will be created in the team selected in Step 1.
Note: If inboxes are in different teams, the importer can be re-run using a different team in Step 1.
Click Next and the import will begin.
You will see a status page that tells you the status of the import. The different statuses are:
- Searching: The importer is determining the total number of groups and tickets to be imported.
- Importing Groups as Inboxes: We are importing groups from Freshdesk and creating inboxes for them.
- Importing Teammates: We are creating new Front teammates, using the Freshdesk Agent’s email and name.
- Importing Tickets as Conversations: We are importing tickets and conversations from Freshdesk and creating conversations, messages and comments for them. The assignee, status, and attachments will be respected when ported over to Front. Note: We will try to import as much history possible. Freskdesk will allow a maximum of 30000 tickets exported
- Done: All done importing!
Important to know
- Do not delete inboxes related to this import in Front while the import is running, or else the import will stop.
- In general, every 3000 Freshdesk tickets equates to about 1 hour of import time to Front.