How to use Google Workspace advanced mail routing with Front
Google Workspace advanced mail routing can be used to redirect messages received by your organization's email addresses to Front's forwarding (SMTP) inboxes. This uses steps found in the Google Workspace support article here. This setup helps organizations manage a large number of forwarding addresses from a single location.
- You will need administrative access to your organization's Google Admin console.
- You will need an existing email address in your organization that will have messages routed to Front.
Part 1: Create a forwarding address inbox in Front
Go to your Personal or Company Settings, depending on which space you want to create the inbox for.
Click Inboxes and Add a team inbox or Add an individual inbox. Fill in the name and description of your inbox.
Select Other email client, and enter your email address.
Click Continue, and copy the Front forwarding address that's generated.
Part 2: Configure advanced mail routing in Google Workspace
From the Google Admin console home page, go to Apps and select Google Workspace. Then select Gmail, and go to Advanced settings.
Locate the Recipient address map setting. When you hover your mouse over this setting, a Configure button should appear to the right. Click Configure.
At the top of the window that opens, under the Recipient address map heading, enter a description (e.g. Route tester@ email to Front).
Under Messages to affect, choose an option:
- All incoming messages: Apply the setting to all received messages.
- Only external incoming messages: Apply the setting to messages coming from outside of your organization.
- Optional: Also route to original destination box, under Routing options: Send the message to the original recipient as well as the new address.
In the box, enter the original address followed by the address that you want to map to. Separate the addresses with a comma (eg. email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org).
Click Add and the mapping should appear in the table below.
When you're done making changes, click Add setting or Save. Any settings you add are highlighted on the email settings page that appears.
At the bottom of the email settings page, click Save.